An opportunity for postgraduate students in composition, performance and musicology to hear the BBC Symphony Orchestra in rehearsal.
Students are invited to attend rehearsals in Maida Vale Studios for concerts at the Barbican Hall.
To book a place, and for details of rehearsal times (available in September), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are required to bring scores of repertoire works. The IMR will endeavour to provide scores of newly-commissioned works.
Please note the following:
1. You must book a place with the IMR to attend a rehearsal. The BBC needs to issue you with a security pass.
2. Please ensure that you arrive at the venue 15 minutes before the start of the rehearsal – this avoids any disturbance.
3. At Maida Vale, please view from the gallery – pick up your security pass from the reception desk, take the door on the left of the desk, and the gallery is the (second?) door on the right from the corridor.
4. If you cannot attend the rehearsal for any reason, CONTACT THE IMR. It is important that the BBC cancels any unused security passes.
5. Students are required to bring scores of repertoire works. The IMR will endeavour to provide scores of newly-commissioned works.
6. For some concerts, the BBCSO offers discounts through the Student Pulse app.
Wednesday September 24, 19:30
Kevin Volans The Mountain That Left
John Adams My Father Knew Charles Ives
Ives Symphony No. 4
Andrew Litton conductor; David Hill conductor; Pumeza Matshikiza soprano; William Wolfram piano
Sunday October 5, 19:30 Total Immersion: John Tavener Remembered
Sir John Tavener
The Protecting Veil
Alexander Vedernikov conductor; Marie Arnet soprano; Brindley Sherratt bass; Nicolas Altstaedt cello
Saturday October 11, 19:30
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 in B minor, ‘Pathétique’
Mozart Concerto for Violin No. 4 in D major, K 218
Nielsen Symphony No. 1 in G minor, FS16, Op 7
Sakari Oramo conductor; Augustin Hadelich violin
Wednesday November 19, 19:30
Respighi Trittico Botticelliano
Brett Dean The Annunciation (UK première)
Richard Strauss Le bourgeois gentilhomme, Op 60 (suite)
Josep Pons conductor
Sunday November 30, 19:30 The Sound of Chaplin
Timothy Brock Kid Auto Races
Neil Brand Easy Street
Timothy Brock The Immigrant
Chaplin Shoulder Arms
Timothy Brock conductor
Friday December 12, 19:30
Nielsen Symphony No. 2 ‘The Four Temperaments’, FS29, Op 16
Busoni Concerto for Piano in C major, K247, Op 39
Sakari Oramo conductor; Igor Golovatenko baritone; Garrick Ohlsson piano
MV1 (Maida Vale Studio 1)
BBC Maida Vale Studios
London W9 2LG